Pre-heat oven to Gas Mk 2 / 310°F / 150°C
2oz golden syrup
6oz black treacle
¼ pint milk
1 tsp (level) bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp ground ginger
Finely chopped stem ginger if desired
In a large saucepan warm together margarine, golden syrup and black
2. Add milk and allow to cool.
3. Beat eggs and blend with the cooled mixture.
4. Sieve dry ingredients together into a bowl (flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, mixed spice and ground ginger)
5. Add the cooled mixture and blend in with a tablespoon.
6. Add stem ginger if required.
7. Pour into a greased loaf tin (or other solid bottomed cake tin).
8. Bake on middle shelf of a slow oven for 1¼ to 1½ hours
9. Turn out when cool on to a cooling rack
NB: Extra ground ginger can be added up to a maximum of 4
teaspoons for a more strongly flavoured cake.